Saturday, November 3, 2012

The $10 for grapes day

.. I do find it peculiar when I find myself a metaphorical stone throw from wine county and organic grapes weigh in at $10 for just over a kilo.. 

We cycled around the Mission District today, exploring on a surprise sunny, warm day that resembled the better days of August in England and certainly not the chill I came prepared for. 
We stopped at a co-operative supermarket called 'Rainbow', with an amazing selection of foods and fruits and teas and supplements, but I am a little shocked how expensive everything seems. I could swear that organic food here is more expensive than in Europe. Why would that be? It is making it a challenge to enter any food store. Typically, being a food lover, I want to pack half the store into my baskets. Instead I really had to moderate myself! 

When I think about the outbursts of love that I had for San Francisco yesterday then I also remembered the dreadful absence of labeling laws for Genetically modified foodstuffs. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to think that I could be; and likely will eventually; ingest GM items. It makes me feel even more pushed towards the organic products, but the cost of them makes me wonder if I should perhaps consider a 90 day long herbal tea fast..

Why did Monsanto get away with not labeling their products? Wouldn't you think that if they really believe that these products are something to be proud of that then there would be no hesitation in labeling accordingly?

I think I would find it a challenge to agree to live here for that reason and it isn't alone on reasons to be hesitant about considering an elongated stay here.

I had promised a drawing of a Russian Second Hand Bear for today and must apologize. I am not off to the most punctual start here. Instead of drawing a bear I started a crocheting project. Below you can see the start of a new infinity scarf made with pomegranate / cranberry colored yarn (80% acrylic and 20% wool). It is already feeling really nice. And I look forward to showing you more photos as I go along. Hopefully I will be ready to list it in my Etsy shop sometime later this week. The shop needs some updating and at the moment it still shows some cards I made in the summer, which are actually in England right now while I am in San Francisco. I should remember to hide them before somebody decides to buy one...


And here my only other shot today of our excursion around The Mission District of San Francisco.. It is J colo(u)r co-ordinated with the Palm Reading establishment and with the Coffee Shop, too..



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello friends, I look forward to your comments, ideas and feedback: